Wednesday, October 28, 2009

No, Andrea: "Unhappy is the land that needs a hero."

I am sitting in rehearsal for Galileo. It is amazing how much easier it is to get my own creative juices flowing when I see other people using theirs. I have spent all of today trying to spiritually and emotionally find myself in this show. Up to this point I have been too intellectually involved. I have been causing my own problems. Finding emotion in a piece is sometimes difficult. I do, however, feel incredibly blessed to have found a profession where making emotional and instinctual decisions is often the preferred method. This is what makes art so meaningful. It is not about reaching out to touch others, but reaching in and using what touches me. I can only make it of any value if I do it this way. If I reach to affect others I will miss. It seems to me that most people have experiences that relate to each other. Hopefully what affects me will touch others. I have had a lot of insight into myself over the last 2 weeks, much of it has been a trial by fire.

I am finding time to meet some new people. I have been participating in activities in the Providence, RI Stake. I live literally 2 miles from the boundary of the Hartford and Providence stakes (a big deal with stakes this big.) I have been meeting more lds members at UCONN.

It has been incredibly sad about the recent murder on campus here. It is the first instance of this on this campus ever. It is such a beautiful campus, surrounded by trees, and full of talented and powerful people. I am glad they have made charges in the crime, it puts the mind at rest.

No comments: